10 Great Tips for Family Caregivers.
- Caregiving is a job and respite is your earned right. Reward yourself with respite breaks often.
- Watch out for signs of depression and don’t delay in getting professional help when you need it.
- When people offer to help, accept the offer and suggest specific things that they can do. Be flexible; they may not do it just as you do. Does it really matter?
- Educate yourself about your loved one’s condition and how to communicate effectively with doctors.
- There is no difference between caring and doing. Be open to technologies and ideas that promote your loved one’s independence. There are lots of new technologies to help you now!
- TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS! Most of the time they will lead you in the right direction.
- Caregivers often do a lot of lifting, pushing and pulling. Be good to your back! Talk to a physcial therapist to learn the proper ways to transfer, lift and move your loved one!
- Grieve for your losses and then allow yourself to dream new dreams.You will have new adventures again!
- Seek support from other caregivers. There is great strength in knowing you are not alone.
- Stand up for your rights as a caregiver! DId you know there is a caregiver bill of rights? Click here to view them: http://www.caregiver.com/articles/caregiver/caregiver_bill_of_rights.htm
- Whatever you do, PLEASE make sure to make time for yourself, even if it’s just 30 minutes a day to do something you enjoy. Don’t “lose yourself” while caring for your loved one.
- Take care of your own health. Keep up our own doctor’s appointments. Let your physican know you are a caregiver!
(Source-National Family Caregiver’s Association)
2 thoughts on “Caregiver Tips”